UPDATE: Check out our new Best (And Cheaper) GoPro HERO8 & HERO7 Alternatives Guide for the latest and greatest GoPro Alternatives.
If you’re looking for an alternative to the popular GoPro camera, I can understand why. GoPros are awesome, but their price tag can be a bit high for some travelers. And even if you can swing the price, not everyone wants to travel with a
$400 $700 camera in their bag. I’ve got a Hero 3, one of the older models, and it still holds up well years later. Overall it’s been a fun video camera to travel with. I’ve gotten the most use out of it when around water since it’s the only waterproof camera I’ve ever owned.
Here’s the catch though. I was given my GoPro as a gift. (What an AMAZING gift, right?!) But if I were to buy a waterproof sports camera myself, would I have spent the money on a GoPro? Or would I have looked for one of the many GoPro knock offs or GoPro alternatives on the market? That’s what I’ve done for you today. I’ve compared the best GoPro alternatives on the market – focusing on the options with smaller price tags so that you can buy a camera and still afford a hostel tonight with Wifi to upload your photos.
Comparing the GoPro Hero6, Hero5, Hero5 Session, and Hero Session
Let’s start by checking out the available GoPro models for comparison, which currently comes in four models with the fifth GoPro Fusion on the way. You can definitely still find some Hero4 and Hero3 cameras for sale for less money, but they are getting up there in age, and for this article, I’m only going to focus on comparing the newest GoPro models with alternatives on the market today.
For a more detailed breakdown and review of current GoPro Models see our GoPro Cameras Comparison & Buyer Guide.
Top Rated Less Expensive GoPro Alternatives
Okay, so you didn’t necessarily come here to learn about the GoPro, but it’s important that we breakdown their features and capabilities in order to compare the GoPro to alternative cameras below. Remember for this article, I’m focusing on less expensive or cheaper alternatives to the GoPro, so I looked for cameras that boast similar features and capabilities to the GoPro cameras, are highly rated by users, and come with smaller price tags.
Let’s start with the AKASO EK7000 which is my top pick for GoPro alternatives with a 4.6 / 5 star rating on Amazon. Let’s face it – the AKASO EK7000 is about as “GoPro knockoff” as you can get. It looks almost identical to the Hero 4 and is even packaged the same! It comes with a wireless remote control that you can wear on your wrist, a removable waterproof hard shell case, and 2 rechargeable long lasting 1050mAh batteries that can record up to 90 minutes of video each.
- 4K Ultra HD action Camera. Professional 4K 25Fps & 2.7K 30Fps video with 12MP photos at up to 30...
- Wireless wrist remote control sports camera. With a wrist 2.4G remote, you can capture the world in...
- Longer battery life. AKASO EK7000 action camera comes with 2 rechargeable 1050mAh batteries. Each...
- Built-in Wi-Fi & HDMI, edit & share YOUR action in minutes. Just download App(smart DV) on your...
- 100 Feet waterproof camera. AKASO EK7000 is designed to withstand extreme environments, together...
AKASO EK7000 vs GoPro Hero5
How does the AKASO EK7000 compare to the GoPro Hero 5?
- Both cameras offer 12MP resolution still shots with 30 frames per second burst mode and up to 4K video captures.
- The Hero 5 has a 2″ touch display for viewing your photos and videos directly from the camera. The EK7000 has a display but it’s not touch screen.
- The EK700 has Wifi but lacks Bluetooth like the Hero 5.
- The Hero 5 advertises that it can withstand up to 33 feet underwater and the EK7000 advertises up to 100 feet, however needs a waterproof case whereas the Hero 5 does not require one for up to that depth.
- The EK700 comes standard with two batteries and the Hero 5 only comes with one.
- The EK700 comes with a variety of accessories like Bicycle Stand Mounts, Clips, Helmet Mounts, Bandages, and Tethers. These items are sold separately with the Hero 5.
- The EK700 can handle up to a 64GB MicroSD card which is NOT INCLUDED. The Hero 5 and Hero Session cameras support up to 128GB MicroSD card which is also NOT INCLUDED.
- The EK700 will work with many Go Pro mounts and accessories from the Hero 4 and prior models. The Hero 5 and Sessions require separate accessories from the prior models because of the complete design overhaul which not require waterproof housing.
- The Hero 5 has a built in video stabilizer whereas the AKASO EK7000 stabilizes video via their software.
What do users think of the AKASO EK7000 versus the GoPro Hero 5?
Many users spoke highly of the price vs features of the AKASO EK7000, and appreciated the included accessories. One user mentioned that the battery door is hard to open without a screwdriver, and another said that the video/image stabilizer could be better.
About AKASO the company
AKASO is a Chinese brand started in 2013. Their main products are drones and they also offer a series of ancillary equipment for their drones including action cameras like the EK7000.
eXuby Pro X2000CS
Next up we’ve got the eXuby Pro X2000CS which is my second pick for GoPro alternatives. Like the EK7000, this camera also boasts a 4.6 / 5 star rating on Amazon and a striking resemblance to the GoPro Hero 4. There’s no hiding that the eXuby Pro X2000CS is a GoPro knockoff – but for the price, no-one’s complaining. Like the Hero 5, this camera offers a 12MP still shot camera. But unlike the Hero 5’s 4k video resolution, this camera only records up to 1080P resolution at 30fps – which is probably fine for most people, especially if you’re filming video for the web. Unlike the EK7000, it DOES NOT come with a wireless remote control, but it does come with an 18 piece accessory kit that includes a waterproof housing and a selection of clips and mounts.
- WITH MULTIFARIOUS PICK-UP TOOLS: USB endoscope camera with grabber, hook, magnet, mirror etc...
- USE CONVENIENTLY AND WIDE COMPATIBILITY: Just download APP and choose USB or WIFI mode,then plugging...
- HIGH RESOLUTION: USB endoscope equipped with 720HD sharp video and 2MP image with bright color. The...
- SEMI-RIGID CABLE: USB snake camera with 6.6feet (2M) semi-rigid cable, which is user-friendly and...
- WATERPROOF--Configure a flexible Waterproof camera（IP67）.You can use the borescope inspection...
eXuby Pro X2000CS vs GoPro Hero5
How does the eXuby Pro X2000CS compare to the GoPro Hero 5?
- Both cameras offer 12MP resolution still shots with 30 frames per second burst mode but the X2000CS only records up to 1080P resolution for video compared to Hero 5’s 4K.
- The Hero 5 has a 2″ touch display for viewing your photos and videos directly from the camera. The X2000CS also has a 2″ display but it’s not touch screen.
- The X2000CS has Wifi but lacks Bluetooth like the Hero 5.
- The Hero 5 advertises that it can withstand up to 33 feet underwater but the X2000CS does not make any claim as to how deep it can go.
- Both cameras come with one battery.
- The X2000CS comes with an 18 piece accessory kit which includes accessories that are sold separately with the Hero 5.
- The X2000CS can only handle up to a 32GB MicroSD card which is NOT INCLUDED. The Hero 5 and Hero Session cameras support up to 128GB MicroSD card which is also NOT INCLUDED.
What do users think of the eXuby Pro X2000CS versus the GoPro Hero 5?
One user said that the eXuby Pro X2000CS was just as good as his GoPro3+ that he’s had for two years. The general consensus is that it’s a great value for the price, however, a couple people mentioned purchasing extra batteries, which comes with the territory of using a video camera.
About eXuby the company
eXuby is a trademark of Gamebox Inc, a Los Angeles based company started in 2009. Described on their website as a “wholesaler of video games and electronics” – eXuby seems to be their private label brand of action cameras.
In a close third place we’ve got the ViDi VDCK021 which is self-proclaimed as “the people’s action camera” and boasts a respectable 4.4 / 5 star rating on Amazon. A nice difference between the VDCK021 and the alternatives mentioned above is that this camera comes ready to film straight out of the box. Included in the box is a 4GB memory card, charged-up battery, selfie stick, and waterproof case. (The Hero 5, EK7000, and X2000CS do not come with any memory card or a selfie stick.) 4GB is not a lot of space, but it’ll get you started. I remember when I first received my Hero 3 as a gift, unwrapped the package, turned on the camera, and couldn’t take a picture until I went to Best Buy and over paid for a MicroSD card because I was too impatient to order one online. I wanted to use my camera immediately! I would have been thrilled if a 4GB card came in the box.
The ViDi VDCK021 also advertises a dash cam mode, or loop recording, which allows you to automatically overwrite the oldest file every 3, 5, and 10 minute intervals. While they admit this isn’t a dedicated dash camera, it’s a mode that can come in handy.
- Record your adventures in true 1080p HD at 30 fps. Wide angle glass lens captures more in clarity....
- Simple to use. Four-button interface so anyone can point and play!
- It Floats! Waterproof to 30 Feet. Go swimming, snorkeling, diving this summer. Control settings...
- Compatible with all standard camera accessories and mounts. Adapter available for other action...
- Everything included: waterproof floating camera case, 4GB Micro SD card, selfie stick, and charged...
ViDi VDCK021 vs GoPro Hero5
How does the ViDi VDCK021 compare to the GoPro Hero 5?
- Both cameras offer 12MP resolution still shots with 30 frames per second burst mode, but the VDCK021 only video records up to 1080P resolution whereas the Hero 5 records up to 4K resolution.
- The Hero 5 advertises that it has a “simple one button operation” and the VDCK021 advertises an “easy to use four button interface”. Personally I wouldn’t mind some extra buttons on my GoPro but this wouldn’t be my deciding factor.
- The Hero 5 has a 2″ touch display for viewing your photos and videos directly from the camera. The VDCK021 has a 1.5″ display but it’s not touch screen.
- The VDCK021 has Wifi but lacks Bluetooth like the Hero 5.
- The Hero 5 advertises that it can withstand up to 33 feet underwater and the VDCK021 advertises up to 40 feet in its waterproof case – which FLOATS without an additional accessory.
- Both cameras come with one battery and it’s recommended to purchase additional batteries.
- The VDCK021 comes with a waterproof floating camera case, 4GB Micro SD card, selfie stick, and charged battery. Only the battery is included with the Hero 5 and the waterproof case is not needed as the Hero 5 is waterproof without a case. Mounts and clips are sold separately for both cameras.
- The VDCK021 can handle up to a 64GB MicroSD card which is NOT INCLUDED (only a 4GB is included). The Hero 5 and Hero Session cameras support up to 128GB MicroSD card which is also NOT INCLUDED (no card at all is included).
What do users think of the ViDi VDCK021 versus the GoPro Hero 5?
Users have called the ViDi VDCK021 a great entry level camera, but lacks the high quality video of other higher priced options. It’s ease of use was mentioned frequently. The general consensus is that you get what you pay for and if your expectations aren’t set to high, you’ll love the camera.
About ViDi the company
ViDi was founded in 2014 by Spencer Taylor with a vision to make quality cameras accessible and affordable to everyone around the globe. Their company motto is about being true to yourself, no matter who you are. They hope their customers will feel like they can be true to themselves when using their products. (Hey, as long as the camera works!)
My final pick and the last GoPro alternative to make it to this list is the APEMAN B01GE99L0K with a 4.1 / 5 star rating on Amazon. Yet another GoPro knockoff with a similar look and feel to the Hero 4. However given the price, positive reviews, and seemingly responsive customer service, I decided to add the APEMAN B01GE99L0K to the list. For those interested, they also offer a 4K video model but the reviews were not as high. Many of the 1-star reviews, however, were anecdotal during this past Christmas season where a few of the products did not come with all accessories in the box and people were upset. For this review, I’m focusing on the 1080P B01GE99L0K for it’s lower price and higher reviews, although the specs between the two other than the video resolution are very similar.
- 【1.5-Inch HD LCD Display Screen】 1080P / 30fps, 720P / 60fps video and 12MP photography capture...
- 【With a Wide Angle 170 Degree Lens】you won't miss out on any background details and the support...
- 【30m Waterproof Case】allows you to film fascinating water sports, like swimming, drifting,...
- 【Most Valuable Contents】 20 fascinating accessories, available for many kinds of sports, such as...
- 【More Safe Guarantee with APEMAN】30 days money back and 12-month warranty and professional...
APEMAN B01GE99L0K vs GoPro Hero5
How does the APEMAN B01GE99L0K compare to the GoPro Hero 5?
- Both cameras offer 12MP resolution still shots with 30 frames per second burst mode. But the Hero 5 has up to 4K video captures whereas the B01GE99L0K only offers up to 1080P.
- The Hero 5 has a 2″ touch display for viewing your photos and videos directly from the camera. The B01GE99L0K has a 1.5″ display but it’s not touch screen.
- The B01GE99L0K has Wifi but lacks Bluetooth like the Hero 5.
- The Hero 5 advertises that it can withstand up to 33 feet underwater and the B01GE99L0K advertises up to 30 feet, however needs a waterproof case whereas the Hero 5 does not require one for up to that depth.
- Both cameras come with one battery and it’s recommended to purchase additional.
- The B01GE99L0K comes with a variety of clips which are sold separately with the Hero 5.
- The B01GE99L0K can handle up to a 32GB MicroSD card which is NOT INCLUDED. The Hero 5 and Hero Session cameras support up to 128GB MicroSD card which is also NOT INCLUDED.
What do users think of the APEMAN B01GE99L0K versus the GoPro Hero 5?
There are mixed reviews about the video quality of the APEMAN B01GE99L0K in comparison to the GoPro series. Some said it was just as good while others said it wasn’t. One user said that although the video quality wasn’t as good, it was hard to notice unless you were looking for differences.
About APEMAN the company
The APEMAN brand is owned by Shenzhen Apeman E-Business Co., Ltd, a company located in Shenzhen, China. Beyond Amazon there isn’t much information available about the company online.
Which is the best cheaper GoPro alternative?
Do you value accessories like extra batteries, clips, mounts, and selfie stickers over video quality? If so you may want to go with the eXuby Pro X2000CS or the ViDi VDCK021 which stand-out for their included accessories. If you’re after 4K video quality and don’t mind buying your accessories separately, the AKASO EK7000 is probably the right fit for you. The included wireless remote is also nice plus for the AKASO EK7000.
I hope that this list and detailed breakdown of less expensive GoPro alternatives helps you decide which one is best for your needs. If you have any questions, corrections to my information, or suggestions about other alternative GoPro cameras that you recommend, please leave your comments below.
If you got value from this post, share it with your traveler friends who may be in the market for an affordable action camera.
If you like it then you should’ve put a Pin on it!
Want to Pin this article to one of your boards? Use our special Pinterest friendly graphic below!
Last update on 2019-11-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API