Join our new group Teach Me Something About The World 🌏 on Facebook for a daily dose of education about history, culture, geography, and travel. You can also watch and share this video on Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter.
Did you know…
- There's a restaurant in New York that doesn't employ chefs. They employ grandmas! And every day, a different grandma from around the world designs her own menu.
- The reason why we view Neanderthals as hunched over is that the first skeleton to be found was arthritic.
- When pimps get arrested, their cash can legally be confiscated but not their jewelry, which is why they wear so much , so that they can pawn it for bail money.
- Volvo opened up the patent for three-point seatbelt because, “It had more value as a free life saving tool than something to profit from.”
- Elvis Presley's manager sold “I Hate Elvis” badges as a way to make money from people who weren't buying Elvis merchandise.
- The moon is 1/400th the size of the sun, but also 1/400th the distance from Earth, which is why it looks the same size in the sky.
- If you publish a book in Norway, the government will buy 1000 copies and distributes them to libraries throughout the country.
- The “drink 8 glasses of water a day” myth is based on a 1945 recommendation that had no medical basis.
- When the territory of Wyoming applied to join the US, Congress told them they'd have to stop letting women vote and that their response was, “We will remain out of the Union one hundred years rather than come in without the women”. In 1890 they joined as the first and only state to allow women to vote.
- The city of Bangkok's actual full name in Thai is, “Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit.” It's the longest city name in the world, and it loosely translates to, “The city of angels, the great city, the residence of the Emerald Buddha, the impregnable city (unlike Ayutthaya) of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn.”
Hi travelers – I'm Paul Drecksler, the founder of TravelisLife.org, and I love to learn. Every week I teach my friends something new about the world through my videos, and now I'm looking for YOU to teach ME something about where you're from. Join our group today for a daily dose of education about history, culture, geography, and travel. See you in there!
JOIN HERE ==> Teach Me Something About The World 🌏
Love these facts ! So interesting to know. I especially liked to know the Elvis fact. Smart guy his manager makin money from all directions haha