Last year I connected with Dr. Annie Holder, creator of The Travel Bra, and we ran a giveaway and a promotion together on this site. While I'm no expert on bras (I'm a dude incase you didn't know), I am interested in new and revolutionary products in the travel space, and so I was inspired by Dr. Annie to research the best bras for travelers to see what else was out there. I thought about asking one of my female writer to tackle this piece, but I'm fearless! Instead of playing my ‘guy card' on this one, I buckled down and did the research myself, from a completely outside perspective, to see what female travelers had to say on this topic. And here's what I found.
What makes a good travel bra?
Since I have no personal experience to answer this question, I looked to the experts. Here's what they had to say about choosing the best travel bra.
Jene' Luciani recommends:
- The Genie Bra as a t-shirt bra that can double as a sports bra.
- Champion Women's Double Dry Distance Underwire Sports Bra for great support during high impact activities
- Genie Women's Cami-Shaper for women who like to go bra-less
Finding the perfect fitting bra is apparently such a complicated task for women that she wrote an entire book on the subject called The Bra Book: An Intimate Guide to Finding the Right Bra, Shapewear, Swimsuit, and More!
Brooke Schoenman recommends:
- Lululemon Ta Ta Tamer for running and being active.
- ExOfficio Give N Go Crossover Bra for a bra with quick drying fabric and a flattering style.
- Patagonia Barely Wireless Bra for wearing with dresses and tank tops.
- And she recommends Dr. Annie's The Travel Bra as “the ultimate travel bra”
Rachel Jones recommends:
- Free People Bralettes for bandeau and halter style.
- Crochet Bras for when wearing outfits where your bra is going to show
- Body by Victoria Underwire Bras for wearing a nicer dress.
- Under Armour Sports Bras for exercising and extreme activities.
- And lastly she recommends simply wearing a bikini as a bra in humid climates!
Kim Caldwell recommends these non-underwire bras:
- Calvin Klein Modern Cotton Bralette for running around town or low impact activities.
- Gossamer Mesh Unwire Uplift Bra for their breathable mesh material and price point.
- Bella Materna Anytime Nursing Bra (that's right, a nursing bra) for its removable lining and six hooks on the band which makes it good for fitting many different sized women.
- Elila Leopard Lace Softcup Bra for women with a full bust.
- Anita Activity Comfort Sports Bra because it's available in A-G cups, super smooth, offers full coverage, and has wide adjustable straps and band.
- Hanky Panky Bralettes for their fun colors and patterns, although not as supportive as others.
- Simone Perele Wireless Bras for their aloe-infused lace!
Leyla Giray Alyanak recommends:
- ExOfficio's Crossover for “less chesty” women in hot climates and on long trips. (which Brooke Schoenman also recommended earlier).
- Panache Bras for a nicer looking sports bra.
- Moving Comfort's Fiona Bra for women on the larger side.
- And her other top picks were Calvin Klein's Iron Strength Bralette, Glamorise's MagicLift Sports Bra, Anita's Light and Firm Sports Bra, and the Criss Cross Strappy Yoga Sports Bra
Laura Lopuch recommends:
- Calvin Klein Women's Perfectly Fit Push Up Multiway Bra as an extremely versatile travel bra.
- Dr. Annie's The Travel Bra for stashing your valuables.
- Gossamer Mesh Unwire Uplift Bras for a solid everyday travel bra option with breathable mesh material.
- Top Secret Prop Top Bralette for straight up comfort while sacrificing a little support.
- Elila Leopard Lace Softcup Bra for fuller busts that need a little extra support without an underwire.
- CW-X Stabilyx Running Bra for its breathability and support web built into the cups.
Fas Abdul Gaffa recommends:
- Top Secret Prop Top Bralette for it's comfort and double layers which “makes sure you don’t have unnecessary nipple action on the plane”.
- Eberjey India Retro Bralet as a soft, underwireless sexy bra.
- C9 by Champion Racer Bra which she originally picked up for her Bikram yoga classes (go Bikram!) and feels its a good travel bra for the price.
Cindy Heazlit only packs two bras for her trips – one to wear and one to wash. She recommend these travel bra brands:
The Knixwear Evolution Bra because she feels that “everything that makes a good bra – and thus a good travel bra – is built into this piece.”
What's the best anti-theft travel bra?
All that above seems like great advice and recommendations for comfortable travel bras, but what about ones that help protect your valuables? (No, I mean your other valuables like your passport, credit cards, and cash.) It seems like Dr. Annie's The Travel Bra was the only bra out there that offers this type of protection, but aside from that novelty, does it pass the comfort test? Here's what travelers had to say about it.
You can check out The Travel Bra at www.thetravelbra.com and use discount code TRAVELISLIFE at checkout for 15% off
To 10 Best Selling Travel Bras
Opinions are great and all, but I find that data speaks volumes. So aside from reading what travelers had to say about their favorite travel bras, I also wanted to see which travel bras were selling the best. And here's what I found.
- SOFT AND LIGHT WITH A BARELY-THERE FEEL - Like wearing no bra at all, only better.
- DREAMY SUPPORT - Flexible, lightly lined foam cups gently shape and support.
- SUPPORT FROM BELOW - Stay-in-place comfort band further enhances support.
- THE BRA THAT DOES A DISAPPEARING ACT - Silky smooth, seamless cups let T-shirts and clingy clothes...
- STRATEGIC AIR FLOW - Lightweight mesh insets at the center front and back for breezy comfort.
- Super-soft comfort
- Convenient, front-adjustable straps
- Extra comfort band
- Wireless support
- SEAMLESS, WIRELESS COMFORT - Four-way stretch fabric flexes and moves with you for unmatched...
- TARGETED SUPPORT WHERE YOU NEED IT - Engineered with strategic reinforced zones for support and...
- PUT IT ON AND FORGET IT - All-day comfort means you won't even have to think about your bra during...
- THE PERFECT T-SHIRT BRA - Smooth and seamless to disappear under even clingy clothes.
- MOISTURE-WICKING FABRIC - Keeps you cool and comfortable.
- BUILT-IN COMFORT AND SUPPORT - TruSupport 4-way wireless support system with higher sides, fuller...
- NATURAL-LOOKING LIFT - Magic Ring construction with panels that support from the bottom up.
- A HERITAGE OF SUPERB SUPPORT - Built around the Playtex 18 Hour M-Frame, supporting women in comfort...
- KEEP YOUR COOL - Cool Comfort moisture-wicking jacquard fabric with delicate picot trim helps keep...
- NO-BULGE BACK AND SIDES - Stretch satin paneled for even more smooth comfort.
- Side-smoothing panels
- Seamless comfort
- Simple, easy sizing (S-3XL)
- Wide, comfortable straps
- Designed to fit your shape with allover stretch fabric
- Vanity Fair style number 71380. Closure: 3 hooks tall with 3 adjustment settings across for sizes...
- Soft, 4-way stretch fabric provides smoothing across the back
- Lightly lined cups provide modesty and great shape for a smooth look under clothing
- Wirefree construction offers separation and support
- Signature plush lined, back adjustable straps are placed closer together in the back to ensure they...
- FAMOUS M-FRAME DESIGN - Flexibly supporting women in comfort for decades.
- SUPERB WIRELESS SUPPORT - 4-way TruSUPPORT system provides higher sides for bulge control, fuller...
- CUP COMFORT - A lightweight lining wicks away moisture to keep you comfortably cool.
- DREAMY WIRELESS COMFORT - The plush, cushioned under band supports and contours your curves without...
- SMOOTH AND SILKY - Almost seamless to disappear under tees and other clingy knits.
- SUPPORT WITHOUT WIRES - Unlined cups and Hanes' patented, stay-in-place wide SmoothTec band provide...
- MOVES EVERY WAY YOU DO - ComfortFlex Fit 4-way stretch fabric for a flexible fit that adapts to your...
- KEEP COOL, ALL DAY - Cool Comfort moisture-wicking fabric keeps you cool and dry, even on those...
- DOES A DISAPPEARING ACT UNDER CLOTHES - 360-degree smoothing from a sleek, seamless construction.
- THE COVERAGE YOU NEED - Full coverage, with wide stay-in-place straps for no-bulge back smoothing.
- FITS SIZES: 44DDD, 46DD, 48DD
- SIZING TIP: Referring to our size chart guarantees the best fit. For all-day comfort, choose your...
- HOOK AND EYE CLOSURE: For a secure fit and easy to put on and take off your bras for women wirefree....
- LIGHTLY PADDED COMFORT BRA: Foam cups offer firm support even without wires. Our compression...
- MACHINE WASHABLE - AIR DRY: Simply throw them in the washer with your colors and tumble dry on low.
- SUPER STRETCHY, CLOUD-SOFT EASYLITE FABRIC - 360-degree stretch moves with you and feels wonderfully...
- WEIGHTLESS AND MOISTURE WICKING - A feather-light feel that keeps you cool and comfortable.
- EVERYDAY COMFORT AND SUPPORT - Removable foam cups in front and targeted support zones at the...
- NO SEAMS, NO LINES, NO SHOW, NO-ROLL - Completely seamless with fused edges and a SmartComfort band...
- WEAR 2 WAYS - Adjustable straps convert from traditional straight to crisscross for wardrobe...
What's your favorite travel bra and why?
Hopefully this post helps save you some time doing research on what the experts say, but now I want to hear from you. In your experience, what's the best travel bra and why? Help each other out and leave your recommendations in the comments section below. Until next time my friends!
If you like it then you should've put a Pin on it!
Like this post and want to share it to your favorite travel or apparel boards? Use our special Pinterest friendly graphics below!
Last update on 2023-03-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API