These are the 8 Famous Churches of Cuenca Ecuador, depicted as an art installation above in the historic center of the city. All these churches are within walking distance of one another and you can visit or tour them while visiting Cuenca. Some are free to enter and others charge a small admission fee. Below is more information about each church.
#1 San Francisco
One of the most prominent churches in Cuenca that sits across from Santo Domingo in the city center, famous for its gold carvings. This church is currently maintained by the city for historic preservation.
#2 Todos Santos
The oldest church in Cuenca constructed in the 1530s. This church was instrumental in helping the Spanish conquistadors establish the Catholic faith in a Inca dominated culture.
#3 San Blas
Construction of this church was dedicated to San Blas and dates back to the 16th century, in May 1557, a few days after the city of Cuenca was founded. In 1935 a new restored temple was built both inside and outside, preserving its original structure as a base.
#4 Iglesia del Sagrario
Commonly referred to as the “Old Cathedral of Cuenca”, this church was the main place of Spanish worship during the time of Spanish colonization in Cuenca, and now functions as the Museum for Religious Art.
#5 San Alfonso
Characterized for its beautiful bell tower and two symmetrical towers, which reach a height of 42 meters.
#6 Santo Domingo
Built in the 20th century, this church sits at the center of Cuenca and is famous for its bright blue domes that sit above the church. The domes can be seen as you enter the city from all sides, letting you know you're close.
#7 Santo Cenáculo
A symbol of religiosity that represents the Last Supper of Jesus. Originally built in 1894, after the sacrilege that occurred in the city of Riobamba while the liberal revolution in charge of the alfarista troops was transcending.
#8 Iglesia San Sebastian
Built in the 16th century and named after the Saints Fabián and Sebastián, however years later, the first Saint was forgotten. This church sits on the Western barrio of San Sebastian in front of the park that bears the same name.
List of All Churches in the Historic District of Cuenca, Ecuador
There are a lot more churches in the historic district of Cuenca — about 53 actually (one for each day of the week they say). Other churches include:
- Iglesia Católica Santo Domingo
- Iglesia San Sebastian
- Old Cathedral of Cuenca
- San Blas Church
- International Christian Community Church / ICC
- Cuenca English Mass
- Iglesia de San Alfonso
- Iglesia de Todos Santos
- Asamblea de Dios
- Santuario Mariano del Carmen de la Asunción
- Iglesia Luterana
- Iglesia de Dios Ministerial de Jesucristo Internacional
- Primera Bautista de Cuenca
- Iglesia Impacto
- Iglesia Cristiana Evangélica La Puerta En Cuenca
- Iglesia La Merced
- Maria Auxiliadora
- Iglesia Bautista Pedro Carbo
- Plaza La Merced
- Iglesia De La Catedral
- Iglesia de Cristo Central-Cuenca
- Iglesia Kichua El Belen
- Iglesia del Séptimo día, Cuenca
- Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
- Iglesia Cristiana De Cuenca
- Iglesia Católica Corazón de Jesús
- Iglesia El Buen Pastor
- Santo Cenaculo
- Iglesia Salvación por Gracia
- Iglesia El Poder Del Evangelio
- Iglesia De San Roque, Cuenca
- Renovación Carismática Católica
- TN Radio – Conectando Verdad
- Iglesia Adventista del Séptimo Día
- Parque e Iglesia de San Roque
- Iglesia Católica Cristo Salvador
- Santa Mariana de Jesus
- Iglesia Evangélica Apostólica Del Nombre De Jesus
- Cruz del camino
- Curia Arquidiocesana Del Azuay
- Capilla Colegio Corazón de María
- Iglesia Católica de San Roque
- Iglesia de Jesucristo de los Santos de los Ultimos Dias
- Iglesia Cristiana Misión Palabra De Vida
- Parroquia María Auxiliadora De Los Cristianos
- Hogar Cristo Rey
- Seminario San Luis
- Centro de Oración Virgen María Guadaupana de la Fe
- Museo de las Madres Conceptas
Which historic churches in Cuenca have you visited?
Share your stories below in the comments or pop onto our Facebook page and share a pic.